Thursday, December 3, 2009

Multicultural Day '09

Wow, that's the first non-alliterative, non-reference title I've had in quite a while. Mainly because I haven't been able to think of anything else for those days, and this one really stuck out as a title (next year, though, it'll sound weird. For example: 'Multicultural Day Ten' rather than 'O-Nine.' Hmm.). So, let us have a look at my day, which was, quite obviously, the Multicultural Day for our school.

It was another mufti day over at Hurlstone, and you could either just come in any old mufti and pay, or come in your traditional garb, and not pay. Me, I don't have much of a choice, as most of the kids at my school have parents who were born in another country, and, me, well, I don't (in fact, as far as I know, the only blood relative of mine born in another country is my great great great grandmother, who was Scottish, or something like that. So I came in just regular mufti, as did most of my group (except the ones who forgot.). Period 1 was Maths, and it was pointed out before class that Eric was in multicultural stuff, as he was wearing yellow (he's Asian. I didn't point that out, though, other Asians did. I think some people can take it as an insult; not in our school.). There was then hilarity when I pointed out I was wearing white. In the actual class, we just talked about functions. Not nearly as exciting, but there you go. Period 2 was Drama, and as there was a total of about 3 people in the class, we just went to the neighbouring Graphics class, where Victor, John and Kevin reside, and played CounterStrike. I'm OK at it, but not great. Recess was the standard.

Period 3 was Commerce, and we pretty much just watched the rest of the Taser video. I didn't particularly notice, though, as I was caught up on my DS. The game is a little addictive, but I really don't mind. I enjoy it, and it's the last few days of the term. Why bother doing stuff? Period 4 was Science, and we had a really fun experiment with Pitt. We started off with Pitt showing us the Periodic Table on his iPhone (which is so nerdily awesome I can barely believe it. Yes, I converted nerd into an adverb. So?), and ended with him outside putting a few grams of zinc and a few grams of sulfur together, and then made some fire with glycerol and potassium permanganate (in itself, awesome). Altogether, there was about a tablespoon of material. The result, though, was a massive cloud, big and yellow, which quickly disappeared into the air. It was pretty cool. Later, we saw an experiment with alkali metals, which, if you are a science nerd like me, means a big reaction. The most reactive we saw was potassium, which caught on fire (obviously, we didn't get to see rubidium or caesium, as that would be a bit much for a Year 10 class. If you do want to see them, though, check out the first video here.). Lunch was talking.

Periods 5 and 6 were the actual Multicultural Day part of the day (if that makes sense), in which people of various cultural traditions displayed them to the rest of the people. There were fan and hat dances, which I think were Vietnamese (although I could be wrong), as well as Indian dances, and Cam had his ever popular Irish singing. There was also a dance between a Year 11 and a professional dancer, neither of whom I know the name, but it was pretty cool. It seemed Spanish, or something similar, so I think it was Brazilian (I may be very incorrect here.). It all finished up with a speech from somebody from World Vision (I think; it was certainly a charity organisation to do with poverty). After all that, I talked, and soon after, the bell rang. And then I went home, and blogged a little, although not enough. Hence why I am here.

Such was my day. Finally, I can say that I respect this title. I have had some other good ones, but, recently, this one isn't too bad. Wait, am I talking about my title in my closing paragraph? Yes; probably because I'm trying to draw attention away from the late post. Just blame society, folks. That oughta work.

I really should stop focusing on my titling so much,
AB

1 comment:

  1. He did not played cs, he planned our wedding with me THANKYOU VERY MUCH.

    ReplyDelete