Monday, September 7, 2009

Curse My Luck

And it's not only because it was a Monday, or a late post; I'm used to them. No; it was because throughout my day, I had very bad luck. Except for one occasion, so it wasn't all bad. But mostly, yeah, I had bad luck. Anyway, to my day, where you can see the full extent of the unlucky things that plagued my day. Also, I should probably stop exaggerating. Ah well (Side note: I did have overdramaticising, which I think works better for what I'm trying to say, but has the downside of being, when Googled, pretty much only found on Urban Dictionary. What the hell, internet?).

Period 1 was English, in which we went through the book, like on Friday, to look for more examples of how the protagonist was an Odd One Out. I already pointed out the things wrong with that on Friday, so I won't continue, though I would like to point out something funny that happened. Jordan came in late, and his reason was, and I'm writing verbatim here: "chillen in the hood." No, seriously. What apparently happened is that someone else wrote it for him. It was still funny, any way you look at it. Period 2 was Maths, in which Mango and I played many games when we got bored, such as Tic Tac Toe (both of us forcing a draw every time), 3D Tic Tac Toe (on a 2D sheet of paper, no less), and most memorably, Minesweeper, which was played on a 5 by 5 board, and in which Mango tried to do the numbers first (it would have been easier to do mines first, but then, hindsight is 20-20). We then gave it to Justin to figure out, who got it after a while of thinking.

Recess was 13, although I also went to see Mr Pitt, as I was supposed to do on Friday (warning: nerdy science things abound). He started by pulling out two cylinders, both the same size, which was roughly the same size as my thumb, and both shiny. Indeed, looking at them, they were identical in all respects except one was a whitish colour and the other was a darker colour, both metallic. I first picked up the lighter one, which was very light (pun not intended; the former 'light' I mean as colour, the latter I mean as weight). As in, extremely light. Looks metallic, was about as light as foam. The second I went to pick up, the darker one, was almost absurdly heavy. As in, you wouldn't think it could possibly be that heavy, but it was. He revealed that the light one was magnesium, which has a density of about 1.7 g/cm³, and the heavy one was tungsten, density of around 19 g/cm³ (science is amazing). Apparently Robson had told him I had read 'Uncle Tungsten,' (Wikipedia article), and Pitt thus showed me the metals. He also showed me aluminium, which was slightly heavier than the magnesium, and niobium, which it seems not many people have even heard of, much less seen or held.

Period 3 was Drama (yes, I just took a paragraph to explain Recess), in which we made Greek masks, or, rather, masks reminiscent of the classic Greek mask, considering we were making them with cardboard, scissors, lead pencils and crayons gotten from the Art rooms. I did, like a lot of people, blind Oedipus, which I think was creative, although as art it's not too good. Well, as a great man (Douglas Adams, specifically) once said, "I think the idea of art kills creativity." Period 4 was Commerce, in which we went to the computer labs to write a letter to the editor of a newspaper complaining about youth unemployment. Except that we weren't supposed to research, just use what we knew. Which, as we haven't even covered youth unemployment yet, is little. Lunch was 13.

Period 5 was PE, in which the majority of my bad luck came in. We were playing Gridiron, and Chris threw a ball back to the pack, which I was in. They said 'Heads!' I didn't hear them or see the ball. You can sorta guess what happened. Bam! Right on the right side of my head. My whole ear went numb and I was very disoriented. Sadly, that was just the start of the mishaps. I tried to stop people going for the quarterback, so I held out my arms. But I kept coathangering
people. So I thought, 'I've had enough of this.' So I got into a horse-riding stance from hapkido, thus lowering my arms and centre of gravity and braced for the charge. This was one of the worst things I could have done. I dropped my arms about 10 cm. Girls were charging at me. What's about 10 centimetres below a girl's neck? Yes, those. Sophie charged right at my hand. It was an awful faux pas. Sophie looked at me, while my brain tried to decipher what just happened. Finally it clicked, my jaw dropped open, and I started apologising as much as I could. After that, I just stood to the side. Period 6 was a History exam, like those pre-tests we had been doing over the past few days. I finished with about 15 minutes to go (I get through those types of things pretty quickly), so I just doodled on the back of the sheet for a while.

When the bell went, we got home, and around 6:45, we left for hapkido. Shay was there, as was Shirisha, and she had gotten her uniform. Overall, it was a pretty good lesson, bar one thing. I tried to get my signature, my last signature: my back roll. Grandmaster Geoff's exact words? 'Within spitting distance.' If I had just extended my back leg slightly more, I would have gotten it. Almost. I almost had it. That's my luck. So come Wednesday, I will be going for it again, and I'll try to make a conscious effort to do that roll right. Orange belt is within sight, my friends; and I think I'm ready. When I got home, I blogged about Sunday, and I tried to start Monday's post, but I obviously did not get to do it. So here I am.

That was my Monday; full of mishaps. Sorry for the late post; I think I'm almost back on track and ready. I severely hope so, anyway. I'll see how it goes. Also, that title isn't so good. Maybe tomorrow. Maybe. Titles are notoriously fickle.

This is what Mondays do to people,
AB

No comments:

Post a Comment