Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Muck-Up Day '09

Yes, it's that day which Year 12s revel in and all others dread: the muck-up day. Norris wants us to call it a "Fun Day" for no real reason, but I refuse to call it that. So muck-up day it is. Anyway. I will be recounting what the Year 12s did and how I avoided or attempted to avoid them, as well as a lot of other things that happened. It was a really packed day.

Before school, I put my umbrella in my pocket, which at first may seem like a bad idea, but you have to remember that this is Year 12s we're talking about, and they really like water balloons. So I got into the school, and had to pay admission (I had no money, so I did push-ups. Hapkido counts for something, because 10 seemed easy.). Period 1 was Science, in which Robson got us to put our bags inside. Probably for the best. Anyway. What we did was check the effects of acceleration with trolleys and masses and stopwatches; it's sorta hard to really explain it. Fun, though. Period 2 was Computer Maths, where we had goes at making pendulums on Geometer's Sketchpad (now, is that awesome or what!). Once I'd figured out how to do it (it involves the x coordinates of points going around circle and arcs connected to the point and so on. It's a lot easier shown than explained.), I messed around with other points making the pendulum go quicker or swing more. Pretty fun, to a nerd that is. Recess was spent mostly avoiding the water balloon onslaught; and the Year 12s were prepared. They had whistles (to coordinate attacks) and a seemingly endless supply of balloons. It was incredible.

Periods 3 and 4 were double Ag, and the whole class went down to the cow sheds to weigh the cows, or something. It wasn't made entirely clear. Most of the class did essentially nothing, and I was included in that majority. I ended up getting out my iPod and playing Solitaire while listening to Tom Lehrer. Ah, good times. We even finished our prac time early, so I was able to get out my cards and play 13 with Tan and Chris and Alan. Ah, I do love cards in class. Lunch was actually spent relatively free from the onslaught of the Year 12s, as most of them were down playing a rugby game with some of the teachers. Now, me being the AFL fan, I gave it a miss, and spent most of the time talking and playing cards.

Period 5 was English, and when I got to the class (we had changed rooms so we could go on the computers), there was nobody there but the teacher. There was a trickle in, as students gradually found the class, but even so there was only about 10 towards the end. So I spent most of the time looking at some other School Certificate papers such as Maths and Science, and surfing Wikipedia. It's fun doing that. Period 6 was History, in which we found out exactly what happened: the Year 12s had taken the sign off the door saying where the class was going. So simple, yet so diabolical. In the actual class, we just watched a video. However, afterwards, it was time to try to get to the station, which in Muck-Up Day is always difficult. And today's was one of the worst I'd seen. But I did get through, after sprinting past Year 12s, ducking and weaving through the splashes of water balloons, and the dash to the stairs, umbrella up. I think I got a few drops. It was great. And when I got home, it was almost straight to the orthodontist.

We got there at about 3:45, and we were out by around 4:30. In that time, I was able to read, and get a new wire put through the braces on my top teeth. I also got my jaw expanded with the expander, as has to be done from time to time. Although, it was business as usual apart from that. When I did get home, and after spending time getting ready, we had to go basically straight to EJ's school for his play.

OK, this I didn't really see coming, though I probably should have. When we got in there, while Mum and I were waiting, we listened to the songs about sailing and the sea and boats and so on that they played over the speakers (including, on one notable occasion, 'Seven Seas of Rhye' by Queen), as well as Sudoku on Mum's phone. However, it was soon time to see EJ's play, and I will say that while the plot was a bit odd (OK, it was bloody strange), the acting was really good. They also sang one song 4 or 5 times, which mostly consisted of the words 'Seven Seas' repeated over and over. Jees. Anyway. We got home late, and I was able to post. But not this one, as I was late. So here I am.

To comments now, one from one person.
*Mango: Fair enough, but just next time, read up first. Also, warn me when you're doing a comment for posts past, I'm just lucky I caught that one.

And that was my day. Sorry for the really late post, but everything you just read got in the way, as well as hapkido and assignments on Wednesday. It's annoying, sometimes, I know, but after things get done, the schedule will hopefully resume.

I can't wait until our grade's muck-up day,
AB

1 comment:

  1. no, im not going to warn you, because that would involve me writing a comment telling you that i wrote a comment in the other post, which would involve me having to do twice the work because as well as writing my original comment i would also have to write a comment directing you to my previous comment, and then you would also have to comment on both comments, the second comment however being completely pointless because it would just be a note that i commented on the previous post, having nothing at all to do with the current post. And now, since you brought that up, i have ended up having to write this comment explaining why i didnt warn you that i commented on a past post. Basically i cant be bothered writing another comment on the current post telling you that i commented on a previous post. If i comment and you miss it, then so be it, but its too much effort to write a comment about a comment. I mean, look how much ive written here, i wouldve have had to do this if you had just commented and hadnt complained about me commenting late. In fact, i blame your late posts. If you post late then im allowed to comment late. Lets leave it at that.

    ReplyDelete