Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Orange Belt Awaits

By that, of course, I mean that I got my last signature in hapkido. Which in turn means that I'm almost at orange belt. There's still some formalities to go through, but it's a near-certainty now. I'll go through all of that when I get to it. But, yeah, that was the biggest thing that happened today, although I will get to the rest; right now.

Period 1 was Science, in which we talked about Newton's Third Law, which was rather interesting and ended with a mutant horse being drawn on the board which originally levitated and talked telepathically (I know that that probably makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. What I mean is that Robson drew a horse on the board which had no mouth and whose legs didn't touch the ground at first. It made a lot more sense if you were there.). We learnt about many technicalities of the Third Law (well not technicalities, as they're aren't really trivial. But rather, it's more complicated than it seems, and we learnt how that happens.). We also said goodbye to Robson, who was going away for 2 weeks. We are thus getting Bruce as a sub; brilliant (warning: sarcasm). Period 2 was Geography, in which we went to the computer rooms to do some more of the assignment. I also spent about 15 minutes messing around on Excel trying to fix some stuff before I realised what I was trying to do wouldn't work; and even if it did, it wouldn't work in the assignment. Goddamn!

Recess was 13. Period 3 was English, in which we did yet more work for Squizzy Taylor, only this time it was quote mining. In other words, find lines in the book that, for example, say he's a gangster even though it's already made clear that he is a gangster even without a quote that says 'I, Squizzy Taylor, am a gangster.' I managed to find an indirect one, but it wasn't easy. But, enough of my ranting. I also had a look at my English assignment, which is due on Friday week. I started on that, which looks complex, but looking at it, it's actually fairly easy. Not incredibly easy, but still. Easier than it seems. Lunch was also 13, and in which Cam told me to do the script for the Drama assessment. Due tomorrow of course; it just never ends, does it?

It was then Sport, which was rugby yet again. And, unfortunately, the system of playing was made so that it was pretty much compulsory to play. There were 3 teams, and they switched around continuously. Or rather, that was what they said the system was. How it actually turned out was different: our team, whose players included John and Kevin, stayed on the field for the majority of the day. And when I pointed out that I did not really know the rules of rugby, I was told that maybe if I ask other people, they'll tell me. Not the teachers, they don't have nearly enough time (well, one teacher didn't know the rules either. So that's useful.). So, for the pretty much the whole game, I hung back and watched people run. I think I got the ball once, and I passed it away as soon as I could. Towards the end, though, our team did finally leave the game, and so we just played 31 for the rest of the day. And after school, I talked with Ebony, and we had a heated argument about AFL versus NRL. I insist that good old AFL is better and that NRL makes no sense; she says the reverse. Hmm. When I got home, I blogged a bit, and did the Drama script, which was only about a minute or so, so not too hard. Around 7, we left for hapkido.

Shay had work, as it seems she now has every Wednesday, but Shirisha was there, which is twice in a week. I don't think that's happened before, but I could be very wrong. The class was going well, and then it was time for my back roll signature. I was slightly confident, but not very. I went for it, and in the end, Grandmaster Geoff said: 'Go as fast as you can.' So I did, and I then promptly got my back roll signature. I did a silent expression of relief and joy (I can't explain it well, but I mouthed the word 'Yes!' while forming my right hand into a fist and brought my arm down, like I was pulling something down slowly. Hard to put it any way else.). I had gotten my very last white belt signature, thus leaving very little in my way to orange belt. The sad thing is that I didn't have to do a roll on my wrong side; the very reason I was putting it off. Oy vey. So what I now have to do now to get my orange is to submit my sheet with all my signatures and the my card with the dates of doing hapkido on it, along with $35 (I assume to buy a new belt), and wait. When I got in the car, I told Mum, 'I have bad news,' while turning away so she couldn't see me smiling. When she asked why, I replied: 'You're gonna have to pay $35...' And then she got it. I called Dad, and when I got home, I posted. But not enough.

And that was my day. Sorry about the later post, but hapkido was in the way, and there was still a post to do. Not a good combination. Ah well. Soon I will get back. Soon. No promises when.

Soon I will be past my orange belt; Hooray!,
AB

No comments:

Post a Comment