Sunday, March 22, 2009

Water, Water Everywhere

In contrast with previous posts, I'm not going to give much of a quick recap in the opening paragraph. It works much better if you find out when I found out. All I leave you with is the title, and a rejected one: 'I Hate the Revolutions.' And, no, that's not a spelling error. I'll explain it when I get to it.

I woke up at 7:30, and got out of bed. I grabbed my book, and I started to read. My neck is still sore from yesterday. Then at around 8:30, Shay, Jo and Lachlan came to our apartment, and got me and my brother so we could go to the pool. We spent some time in there, and then we got back to the apartment to get dressed to go to breakfast. We took a lift down, and we went to this cafe. I got a ham and cheese croissant (delicious), and then they sprung their surprise. The jet boat ride... was today.

A quick side note: For Christmas, Shay got me a ride on a jet boat (link). Smartass. What it is is basically a ride in a boat for half an hour, in which they go incredibly quickly, and do 360 degree turns (revolutions. There's the rejected title for you.)

The colour drained out of my face. I didn't speak. I couldn't. Today? In retrospect I should have seen this coming. Sydney, Darling Harbour, with Shay. But I didn't. My mistake. Then we went back to the apartment. I was already feeling sick. This was not good. I tried to ignore it, but try as I might, I still couldn't get it out of the back of my head. As we travelled down the lift, Shay and Michael sang me this quick song to allay my fears:
AB went to sea, sea, sea
To see what he could see, see, see
But all that he could see, see, see
Was the bottom of the deep blue sea, sea, sea!
Oh yeah. Much better. As we drew closer, I made several half-hearted attempts to get out of it. But it was to no use. We found out that it was at 12. So I struggled until then. But, the time was nigh. I got into the boat, and tried to get into a good frame of mind. Jo said 'You'll go out into the harbour, come back and say 'Was that it?'' So I figured I'd try that. Then they started speeding up. I grabbed onto the velcro straps holding me in place for dear life. And not a moment too soon. One big 360 degree spin at 75 km/hour. That, it can be said, was not fun. Shay put my glasses in my pocket, and I closed my eyes. Tightly. Grabbing on the straps like they were my only lifeline. Which, in a sense, they were. More turns, faster and faster. I was coming close to hyperventilating (and I may have. I'm not sure. I was breathing very fast.). I closed my eyes tighter as the spins got more and more frequent. I didn't vomit, oh no. I didn't think that's possible. I was beyond that. All the while getting drenched as sea spray flew over the sides. Fear rocked me. I may be allergic to adrenaline. At last, thankfully, finally, it was over. 30 minutes of pure horror, with screaming thrown in. When I opened my eyes and let go of the straps after the boat stopped, I looked at my hands, only to see there was velcro stuck there from where I clung on. I was shaking. I was cold and wet. Not something I'd try again. After that, we walked up to the hotel, to pick up our bags and leave. I was still holding my sides, from sheer cold, though as I got o the hotel, I could start playing Solitaire on my iPod again. We got home, and I grabbed some lunch.

At 3:30, we had to go this place called Club Italia for my Dad's AFL meeting. I brought my laptop, and spent the time reading, listening, and going on MSN, as well as doing the dance essay thing. Thank god I don't have to do that a second time (the same could be said about the boat). For dinner, I had chicken and chips, as that's what all the other kids were given. Not my choice. Wasn't big enough for a mouse. So I also had spaghetti and garlic bread. We got home at around 8, and I watched TV, and went on my laptop.

And that was today. A long day, with water from the jet boat, and swimming too. Tomorrow is Monday, and I'm half-looking forward to it. At least there isn't any jet boats.

Never again shall I do that,
AB

No comments:

Post a Comment