Sunday, March 8, 2009

We Are (Not) The Champions

Yes, I know, another Queen song. That's because they're awesome. Yes, as you can guess, we lost. Just how badly, I shall now tell you.

I actually slept in today, believe it or not. That's because we had to leave by 9:15 to get there by 9:30 to play by 10 (or something like that), so, really, it hardly mattered. So, we get to the ground, everyone starts showing up. My Dad, the coach, makes a quick speech, and we begin the match. We start off pretty good: 1 for 1, 2 for 7, 3 for 22. Drinks break. Right about here, it starts to fall to pieces. A quick 6 off a no ball in the second over after drinks break, and the runs start to pile on. 70, 80, the total started to shoot up. Justin (their best batsman) got out after one of the greatest plays I've ever seen. Speedy's at mid-on, and Justin hits it towards him, and goes for a 1. Speedy leaps to the side, gets the ball, and throws it at the wicket. A moment of silence. Then an explosion of cheering. At this point, it's something like 120 runs, and we feel like anything's possible. But the game isn't over. They're not through. The overs run out at 2, and they're at 169. We're still hopeful, if they can do it, we can. It's lunch. We go back on, and Ryan M gets out for 1. That's OK, Nibraas gets in. Everything's still running smoothly. Rizzul gets out for 2. Ben gets in. Two of our best batsmen. Let's get some runs. Except, we don't seem to want to do that. Nifty, out for 10. Payny (in my opinion, our other best batsman) gets in. Ben out for 1, Payny for a duck. We're in trouble. Big trouble. Teagan gets in, and stays in. Good, if anyone else could stay in. A lot of sundries, but not enough. Jacob goes for 1. Aaron sticks in for a bit, falls for 1. Rhys stays in for 20 minutes. A duck. At this point, we're doomed. Only Callum and me left, in that order. Callum stays in for a while, but it's hopeless. He goes for 2. I'm left. I face 2 balls, then it's over (as in, the over is out, not the game is over). Teagan goes for the ball, but it bounces off her bat and hits the stumps. All out, for 62. 34 sundries. It was, quite frankly, one of the worst games we've played. Bowling-wise, OK, but batting-wise: disappointing. Ah well.

The rest of the day ran pretty well. We get home, and decide to trick EJ. We tried to tell him I got 70 not out. My Dad also pretended to give me $200 (he gave me one bill twice. I had to give it back to him both times. Bugger.). My brother caught on about the score basically instantly, but then he started crying: 'You gave him $200! Look who your favourite son is!' Then we attempt to explain to him that there is no way in the world that my Dad would ever give me $200. Now that was funny. The rest of my day was basically spent watching TV, reading, and going on my computer.

Such ends my day, and ends the weekend. Bugger. Ah well, it was a good few days. And now there's school tomorrow. I don't want to go to school. Well, I shall finish today's blog.

May next year's final be a lot better than this year's,
AB

No comments:

Post a Comment