Friday, March 27, 2009

A Very Merry Arbitrary Day

After a while trying to think of a title, I came up with this. I love this title. I would give you a rundown of rejected titles, but there were none. Today is also going to be my rant, so let's see what happened.

Period 1 was Maths, which was doing basically no work at all. I love Fridays. Ditto for Drama, which was watching people doing their Drama assessments. After watching a few, I felt less good about mine, especially with Amy's, Rutherford's and Mei-Wei's, to name a few. Even Oscar's was awesome. Then we had Assembly, in which we got to the pool lawn, as Year 12s were using the Hall. We tried to sing the school song, but with no music everyone was singing it at different times, so it wasn't great. Then a new teacher (I think his name is Wenban. Or Winban. Or something.) spoke for 5 minutes inaudibly. Then someone spoke about interact, inaudibly. (There are no microphones here on the pool lawn.). Next we sang the national anthem, with the same problems as the school song. For a selective school, they aren't too bright. Recess was, as always, playing 13, with Victor, John, Andy, Kevin and me. We introduced 2 rules, one of which was scrapped for Lunch, and one of which is here to stay. They are, first, the machine-gun rule, in which one of the bombs is an Ace, King, 4 and 7; or an AK-47. We only played one game with that before the bell went, and in that game Kevin got all of the 7s. The second rule is the flip rule, in which the last card dealt to everybody is flipped face-up. We usually say that that card describes your hand, so it was really funny to see Andy cry out when faced with a 3 of Spades, and frustrating when John got the 2 of Hearts. Then, after all that, it was Commerce, in which we got an assessment task (just when you think they're out, they pull you right back in), and I was called out by Hackett to tell me I'm in something called the Mathematics Enrichment Program, of which I'm a little hazy on the details, but of which I am sure of two things: Only 4 people in Year 10 were invited (me, Mango, Zul and Lana), and it's probably going to be on a Monday. Which is an impossibility for me, as I have to catch the bus home, and I start hapkido next Monday (it's a Korean martial art. I'm really looking forward to it.). I'll have to see what I can do about that. Period 4 was Science, in which I discovered that Robson was leaving (just as Yates before him. Why are all the good teachers leaving?). Bugger.

Lunch was, again, 13, with Eric included too, and Ian here to watch. Ah, cards. What would I do without you? Period 5 was English, which was Hancock reading from a short story (of which I remember little except that it could have been written much better). Finally, it was History, which involved watching a video, and confirming forms saying that, yes, that is my name, and yes, I was in fact born then. As well as getting a research task. It just never ends. But, it's due after the holidays, so that was a load off after a brief panic. I got home (and my New Scientist wasn't there), and watched TV, went on MSN, the usual. And again, here I am, blogging and watching the footy, Geelong v. Hawthorn in the Grand Final rematch. And it seems the game is panning out just like the Grand Final: Geelong leading in the first quarter, but not making the most of it, and Hawthorn coming back in the second quarter seemingly easily. Hmm.

Now my brief rant, again put in the form of a list, as it's a lot easier to write (and think) in the form of lists. More things that annoy me:
* Little kids. I mean, sometimes I'm happy to play Tip or whatever with them, but when I'm trying to get some peace, it's very annoying.
* Made-up compound words that mean exactly the same as their components. Two examples are 'guesstimate' and 'chillax.' Use guess, use estimate. Pick one. Not both.
* People ridiculing the books I read, or even the fact I read. 'Twilight' is awesome and there is no way I'm changing my mind on that.
* When I type my posts, and it screws up on me. Like, when it starts on Overtype mode, or when I press Enter and it skips two lines.

Things that I would like to know:
* The lyrics to every Queen song on 'Greatest Hits I.' I can sing a fair bit of most of them, and almost all of 'Bohemian Rhapsody' and 'Bicycle Race,' which was coincidentally the song stuck in my head today.
* The identities of my anonymous commenters. These comments can be found here, here, here, here and here. Some are obvious. Some are not.
* If a girl likes someone. However, I shall resign myself to the fact that there is no way to know how a girl works. I'd still like to know though.

Things I would like other people to know:
* 'Monty Python and the Holy Grail.' Cameron has apparently never seen the movie. I stared at him (or the closest you can come over MSN), like there was something severely wrong with him. If you've never seen it, there's something wrong with you.
* My blog. Because, while I don't blog for other people, I would still like people to see my blog. Show them that I'm not just that kid who reads all the time.
* That I do not know everything. Believe me, I am not the source of all knowledge. Don't come to me with a Science question that your textbook can answer. I am not a textbook.
* Queen. I have been saying this for a long time (in fact, thanks to my blog, I can count it back: I first mentioned Queen on the 15th of February.), but I stick by it: Queen is one of the greatest bands of all time.

Well, I'm gonna wrap this post up. Today was a very fun day, and I wanted to do a rant for a while, I just didn't have the time. On Tuesday, if I continue my unspoken vow of at least one post a day (which is not so unspoken any more), it will be my 50th post. I can't wait. That will be a blog of dedication and remembrance.

I Heart Random Rants,
AB

3 comments:

  1. I am the first two anonymous identities listed.
    If you want to know if a girl likes someone, ask her. Or her friends.
    Guesstimate is a legitimate word, in my book, because it teaches children the meaning of the word estimate. After primary school, however, it is no longer acceptable.
    Yes, Queen is a great band, but there is something strangely satisfying about knowing such a great band that no one else really knows about.
    Blog aniversaries are always exciting, congratulations on 50 posts.

    Finding it difficult to conceal my identity,
    A friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damn Anonymous you comment on target.

    And if you remember correctly AB, I actually lost that round. The 2 of H isn't exactly a guarunteed win, but I must say it's funny to watch 3 people get dealt face cards and the last person gets a 3.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Comment on target?

    ReplyDelete