Friday, July 17, 2009

The Return of Philosophical Ramblings

OK. So here's how it'll go. I'll go through all about my day, and then I will go on my philosophical rant. Which, due to unforeseen circumstances, may be incredibly, incredibly late. That happens. We all have to pitch in and blame society together, folks.

I woke up around 8 (of course; this is how all of my posts start now. I should seriously stop.), and I then, after everything was done, I decided to play a bit of Battlefield Heroes. I started at 10, and played continuously until 12. I didn't level up, but I did do a lot of sniping from the shipwreck in Buccaneer Bay, the cliff and church in Victory Village and the lighthouse in Seaside Skirmish. Especially the lighthouse: good for setting troop traps and going sniping. And if they shoot you off, you can hide under a few trees and snipe the sniper. But, I digress. After 12, I went to blog a bit, as well as go on this new webcomic I found called Questionable Content. Here's the link to the first comic. The art (and the storyline) gets way better as it goes on. I then went on my laptop and blogged a bit until 2.

Around 2, Dad got home, and then we went to watch a movie Dad bought on Foxtel. It was pretty good, in my opinion. After that, I did some more blogging and webcomic-surfing. After dinner, I went to go watch the Bombers-Dogs game. The Dogs ended up pulling ahead in the last half, thank god. Otherwise, Carlton's chances could be very slim. As it is, we're already playing Geelong and Adelaide at AAMI. After the game, and for the rest of the night, I just talked to Ebony on MSN. I went to bed around 11.

It's time now, to go on an adventure into my own mind. I started thinking about this while looking at taps in the bathroom (bear with me here). I was absent-mindedly wondering how the turning the knobs makes the water go out. And then I thought: how does that work? How does the water get there? I ended up going into this whole tangent about how complicated the water system. And what else? The internet, for instance. You could be reading this in, say, London. You might be out in the middle of the street, reading something written halfway around the world by a laptop, in another laptop, with no apparent way that this could happen. There's no cords. There are electromagnetic waves flying through the air, that your laptop decodes. Then there are mobile phones and gaming systems and TVs...

What I'm leading up to is this: if you think all about the stuff, you end up realising how complicated everything is. How would you make a TV? How does a mobile phone work? How does water get from hundred of kilometres away to your bathroom sink. You might understand how a bit here and there works, or how the basic principle works. But how does it really, at the core of it all, work? Physics can answer a lot of the questions. But that just relegates the question to how does the atom function? How does it all fit together? How do things, in effect, work?

I do have a point here. My point is, we take all of these things for granted to some extent. If it's not watching TV, it's typing on a laptop. If it's not that, it's talking over the phone. If it's not that, it's simply the fact of being. When you get down to it, we might superficially understand how things work. We know that pressing the key 't' makes the letter 't' appear on the screen. If I press 'Publish Post' right now, I know it will send this post to my blog for everyone to see. That's simple. But how it really does this is very complicated, and I'm guessing that not many people fully understand it, if anyone. If the world were to work from the knowledge of one person, society would collapse. We need other people. Everybody wants to know more. That's the heart of science. I started this without knowing how it would end. But it's not really the end I was concerned about. Just the journey was good enough.

OK, I've just done a lot of writing and thinking there. It's time for comment replies; 3 from 2 or 3 people. I'm really confused.
*Ebony: Another strike? Jees, play another tune, why don't you? Seriously here: I have no idea what your strikes are really about.
*Victor: Sure. Go for it. I don't quite understand why, but why not.
*Anon: Finally, someone who gets the whole pointlessness of it. Also, someone who is a chair. Apparently.

And that was my Friday. Sorry for the really late post, and the long 'drawn-outedness' of the post. But I felt like doing some thinking, and that's what my blog is here for. For me to vent and think and go on. But, right now, I've got to go to bed. Bye, everybody!

I haven't philosophised in a long time,
AB

1 comment:

  1. So looks like its just you and me
    Nice Philosophy you got going there
    The world really is a most annoyingly complicated place, and this afl is a truely weird game. But Battlefield Heroes seems like Buggs Bunny, World of Warcraft and Call of Duty mixed together. Say, could these electromagnetic waves harm people?
    The Anonymous Aeroplane

    ps: I'm a lot of things.

    ReplyDelete