Saturday, October 24, 2009

AFL Presentation Day '09

Yes, with this, the AFL season, from my point of view, can come to an official close, as the actual AFL season was really ended last month, and this presentation day is the last thing of my brother's season (as I was sorta affiliated with that, what with Dad being the President, Mum managing, EJ playing, me boundary running unofficially. So on and so forth.). It was also responsible for throwing off posting in a massive way, considering how long it ran. Also, yes it's a very late post. I really hope I can get back on track soon. And there is an arguable titling problem.

I woke up at 6:30, and once I'd got stuff done, I adjourned to my room, to play some Battlefield Heroes. I was doing pretty well, until about 8:15, when Mum and I had to leave to go set up for the presentation. I read in the car for a while, but soon we actually did have to go and actually do stuff. We started by unpacking seemingly endless supplies of bread rolls and seven boxes (seven!) of donuts (I could say 'doughnuts,' but I won't.), as well as much sausages, salad, cutlery, serviettes, and so on. Say what you like, but we were ready to feed an army. We then all went inside, to set up for the presentation itself. We moved tables, organised chairs, and did more unpacking, this time of trophies, as essentially everybody who plays gets a participation trophy, as well as Best & Fairests, Coach's Awards (possibly Coaches Award, I'm not too sure) and Most Improveds. Every single one of these was packed in cardboard and foam, so until about 11:15, I was a human conveyor belt, transferring packing materials to a large bin outside, coming back, and repeating. It was repetitive, tiring, boring work, as you can guess. Not particularly fun at all. Anyway. As I said before, at 11:15, we left, so that Mum and I could get lunch and be ready for the presentation.

When we did get home, I had a big lunch, and packed some stuff to go to the presentation. However, at about 1 when we had to leave, Mum put her foot down and said that I couldn't bring my laptop, which was a shame because I was told when we were going to get home, which was about 9. So instead, I grabbed my iPod and a book. We were the first people at the presentation (again), so for a while we just hung back and did whatever. When people started to arrive though, I went to my table, and read for a bit. Soon the actual presentation did start, but before that, I happened to see some old friends. Nicole, Darren's brother, and her Mum were there, and we talked for quite a bit. After that, Shaylee and Jess got me selling raffle tickets, as I took the box and thought we were all doing it together. I was wrong, but I didn't mind. They got me fair and square. I went around for a while, selling tickets, when I was called up to give out my own trophy (well, it's named after me, for no other reason than that I had been playing for a while when they thought up the idea for it. Still, it's pretty cool to have a trophy named after you.), which is the goalkicking medal for Under 12s. But after they handed that out, I went out to the canteen.

There, Shaylee and Jess were preparing for the feast that we were all to have after the presentation, which means that they were cutting open bread roll after bread roll. It didn't look particularly exciting, but they had music on and they didn't seem too bored. After I got there, I ended up showing them some hapkido stuff, because Shay left and she wanted to see some orange belt stuff. They laughed at my fall, which I do admit looks a bit strange, but it is pretty cool nevertheless. So I talked with them for a while, and soon people began to file out of the room and outside to near the canteen. The presentation had evidently ended, and people were ready for dinner, as was I. I had a sausage roll, a bread roll, and much potato salad (mmm, potato salad...).

After that, Shay, Jess and I wandered around, until we came across a game that most of the kids were playing. I can't say what it was called, because it seemed like they made it up. But, from what I can guess from playing, you get a goal by putting it in a goal, like in soccer. You can use any part of your body (not just feet or head, like in soccer), and if it goes out of bounds, then people just run after it, and bring it back into play. Tackling is grabbing someone until they let go. Basically, it's utter chaos contained in a theoretically limitless playing field. It was fun. I scored a great goal at one stage, pushing many people out of the way, then throwing it sideways with only a slight inclination as to where the goals were, while being tackled to the ground. Damn, it was good.

Soon after, they broke out the donuts, all seven boxes of them. A lot of people didn't notice. I, however, did. And as there were many more donuts than people (and even then, quite a few didn't take any), I decided to gradually take some. I then went to go and talk to people who were there, and even as people left, we talked to others. Soon, a game of cricket started, and I was called upon to be the umpire for some reason. And so I did, and we played until it was dark. Then, we went to sit down, and I talked and played Solitaire on my iPod (by this time, it was about 8:30). We also ate donuts, but soon nobody could eat anymore. So we went inside, where there was a group of retired (or, so I guess) people dancing. In there, we started handing out free donuts, and almost everyone took some. I thus learnt one important lesson: It doesn't matter your age, sex, race or religion, everybody likes a free donut. After more talking, and drinking (alcohol by some, Solo by me), we left at about 10 (not 9, as I expected). And when I got home, I blogged a bit, but only a bit, considering the time. Which should hopefully explain the very late post.

And that was my day. I can't complain about shortness of post, seeing as this one is over 1100 words (whoa), but that could have been a contributing factor as to why this one is so late. Others are shopping on Sunday, and study and hapkido on Monday. However, if you are still short of things to blame, well, you know who to blame (society. It's society.).

So long AFL season, see you next year,
AB

No comments:

Post a Comment