Sunday, October 25, 2009

Seeing, Read

OK, maybe that wasn't the greatest pun, as I wasn't actually angry (as in, seeing red). I just couldn't think of a decent title, and I wanted a title, any title, to do with books. This one worked. Anyway. Without further ado, to my day, as I am having severe posting issues to do with lateness.

I was woken up at around 7:30, as we had stuff to do in the day, of course. I was a little reluctant, as I am on doing things on Sunday (It's not that I'm religious or anything, no, I'm atheist, but I'm lazy.). I wasn't going to go before (which would be a pity, as you'll soon see), but with the new revelation that the shoes Dad brought back from Canberra were actually his, not mine, it has become evident that I have lost my shoes (no idea how you lose shoes, but I did), so we had to get new ones. Me being me, I just basically found any set of white shoes that would fir me (not as easy as it seems, as I have huge feet. Size 12, or something.), and brought them to Mum. This was in Big W, and so while Mum had to go look at something, I looked around the book section, seeing if they had anything decent. And then I saw it.

Upside down, on a shelf, but still perfectly recognisable: the new Matthew Reilly book had finally hit bookshelves. The final book in the Jack West Jr trilogy (for want of a better name), known as 'The Five Greatest Warriors.' I could hardly believe it. I grabbed it and held it tightly to my chest, not caring who saw me. I rushed to see how much it was, which was $25. For that price, it was mine. As I repeated several times, to get it they would have to pry it out of my cold dead hands. So I got the book, very pleased with myself for spotting in, and by sheer chance, after we got out of Big W, Mum let EJ and I go into Angus & Robertson. Where I came quite possibly the closest I've ever been to a religious experience (I may be exaggerating there. But not much.)

I stared at 'And Another Thing...' the sixth book in the 'Hitchhiker's Guide' series even though Douglas Adams passed away in 2001 (Wikipedia explains it better than I could), written by Eoin Colfer, and 'And Another Thing...' stared back. I'm surprised I didn't drop to the ground on my knees. I picked up the book; and goggled at the price. $44, it was. I was in two minds about getting this book. On one hand, it was from 'The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy'. On the other hand, it was $44 (the fact that 'Genius Wars,' the end to the trilogy by Catherine Jinks, was out wasn't helping.). What ended up happening was that I figured that it would be cheaper in Dymocks, if they had it, but just in case they didn't, I made sure we could come back to Angus & Robertson. So we got to Dymocks, and because 'Genius Wars' was cheaper there, EJ bought that. I put the points on my Dymocks card, leaving me at $7 worth of points. 'And Another Thing...' was $40 at Dymocks, but I got it for $33, which for buying books is an acceptable price range. After we got that, we went happy, and I was quite happy with my day so far.

However, all good things must come to an end (this being a semi-accidental reference to this song), and when we got home, I had to study, as tomorrow is the Agriculture yearly, which I'm not too happy about. Mainly because it's bloody Ag, and Ag exams and I have never gotten along (as opposed to English exams, which was only really the half-yearly. Still, what a half-yearly it was...). So I studied for quite a while, but every so often, I sneaked a peek at 'And Another Thing...' which was the book I chose to read first. I really couldn't help it. Once I was done, I blogged for a while, trying to keep up with previous posts. It's hard. I tried to get a lot done, but I didn't get all of it done. So here I am.

And that was my Sunday. Again, sorry about the late post, it's mainly because of Saturday, and how it threw me all out of whack by putting me two posts behind instead of my usual one. Believe me, I'm trying to get back up, but with exams, I am having difficulties. Just bear with me and soon I'll be back up to schedule. Hopefully.

Books, wonderful books,
AB

No comments:

Post a Comment