Sunday, October 4, 2009

Floriade, The Festival of Flowers

That's right, I refer to Floriade (doesn't that sound like a Pokemon? I choose you, Floriade! Anyway. Enough of my nerd-like ways.), which is, according to Wikipedia, is gigantic for tourism in the ACT (proof). I have actually never heard of it, but Mum and Nanny have. What it is, in essentials, is an annual festival where they plant flowers in patterns, as well as having other stalls. I know that sounds bad, but it wasn't a really good explanation. Anyway. Yes, it is also an alliterative title, and I'm not especially happy with it, as I was with the last two. Well, without further ado (and I am going on a tangent a bit here), to my Sunday.

I got up at around 7, and got ready for the day (by 7, I think I'm referring to the new time, what with daylight savings and all. But I can't really be certain.). We left at about 8, and when I got out of the car, I noticed something: it was freezing. In hindsight, yes, I should have expected this (it is Canberra, after all), but I kinda figured it was spring and the sun should be out. But I was wrong, and it was cold. We waited for about 30 minutes, and then we went in. We first had a look at some stalls, and then we went to see the flowers. I wasn't particularly impressed, as I just saw the different coloured flowers (at which point I was thinking: 'Oh. Flowers. When are we leaving?'). However, after staring at the flowers and their corresponding signs (they had signs next to the groups of flowers), it gradually dawned on me: they were planted to make things (TV Tropes might call it Fridge Brilliance). They had a chessboard; an eye; a yin-yang symbol... from then on, the visit to Floriade got a lot better.

However, it started to rain, of course. Not pelting down, but not sprinkling either. That rain that you can bear, but only just. We did find some other exhibits, as it transpired that it was not just a flower show. We saw some bonsais (as in, the plural of bonsai. It looks weird in plural.); and they were pretty damn good. Not like the one I got a few years ago, in Japanese, which was 5 cm tall and got eaten by the dog. We also made a detour, after getting something to drink, to a Nintendo stall, which turned out to be a tent full of Wiis (again, the plural of Wii). It turned out that they had Mario Kart on the Wii, and of course, EJ and I had to play. I am proud to say that out of the three games we played, I came first out of 15 players (one of them EJ, one of them me, the rest computer) three times. After that, we went to a sports thing, which turned out to be a Little Athletics thing. Or at least some sort of athletics-type obstacle course for little kids. EJ, being EJ, goes 'That's easy!' and tries it. With hilarious results. He was going well until he tried to jump over some bars. He jumped on the third-last one, fell over the next one, and with a thud, came to earth with the last bar over him. It was hilarious. What made it even funnier is that immediately after, a 2 or 3 year old kid did with apparent ease. It totally made the trip worth it. We then bought some stuff (EJ bought a skull stamp and 4 of these long lollies. I got one as well, because I figured while I was there I might as well.), and went home, but not after stopping by the local shops to pick some stuff up.

About an hour after we got home (which was mainly spent reading), Uncle Nudge and his daughter Darcie (I have been referring to her previously as 'Darcy,' as I've never seen it spelt. I shall attempt from now on to write it as 'Darcie,' but no promises.) got home. So we played with her as a while (you really can't help yourself sometimes), and then the NRL came on. Everybody else began to watch it (even EJ!), so I was able to go on my laptop and do stuff for a while. It was mostly Spore, but it was more fun than watching the rugby. And for the rest of the night, I mostly just watched TV and went on my laptop.

And that was my day. Sorry about the late post yet again, but, well, I'm sure I've explained this before already. Anyway. I am going to attempt to really get back on track, but nothing's certain. Anything can happen.

Oy vey, restoring the schedule is hard,
AB

No comments:

Post a Comment