Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Melbourne Cup '09

It's been a while since I've done an event with '09' on the end of it (exams don't count.), but that's because nothing's been on. But there was something on, so, I title after the Melbourne Cup. Mainly because I can't think of much else. Anyway. ...Let's skip to my day, because I'm drawing a blank for this opener.

Period 1 was Agriculture, which, like prac PE yesterday, was the first one of the term, which is much more unlikely seeing as we have 4 periods of Ag in every cycle. Exams got in the way, mostly (at one point, the Ag exam got in the way). And we got out exams back. Ag exams and I have never got along, with the only consistently worse one being Japanese (for obvious reasons). Even Art and Music I did better (I was actually good at Music and Art theory, though I wasn't too good at prac. I could visualise it, but I couldn't actually do it. Ah well.). However, this exam I did well at, getting something like 86.5%, which is a good sign for things to come (I mean, if I can do well in Ag...). We then went down to the shearing sheds, to watch people shear sheep. And then we looked at some of the wool. That's Ag for you. Period 2 was Geography, which ended up being just talking with Hewie and Alan about stuff like Subway and Red Rooster. How we got onto that subject is a very good question. But we did, and we talked about that for a while. We also did some studying for the HSIE School Certificate. Recess was talking.

Period 3 was Mathematics, and we learnt about probability. Or, rather, we got taught basically the only two equations for probability that there are (there could be others, but I really can't think of them.). All the rest, apparently, is working out what the variables in the equation are. There was also a set of extremely funny jokes when Tri called out that Karen wet him. The class cracked up. Justin and Chris then, being smartasses, called out simultaneously that 'She was just watering the Tri.' The whole class laughed even more, with Rawson even laughing (you, see that's just the sort of pun that I wish I would have made. Ah well.). Period 4 was Science, and we started a new topic: evolution. It's a bit of a controversial topic, of course, but we didn't have any objections; is anyone else getting extreme déjà vu here? I really am (looking back on previous posts, I found that we started the same topic again when we had Bruce instead of Robson. I thought I remembered doing something similar.). Anyway. He explains it pretty well, and he made sure to put in that evolution doesn't necessarily clash with religion (which it doesn't, depending on how you look at it. If you take the Bible literally, then it sorta does clash a bit, but if you don't, evolution works. That's not to say I'm not atheist, but I accept that science and religion can coexist.). Lunch was cards, for the first time of the term. Don't know why we waited, other than that I kept forgetting the deck and we had exams on (actually, that works pretty well as an explanation).

Period 5 was Commerce, and we all went up to the library for some reason or other. It was never fully explained, and we didn't use the computers. So whether a class wanted our room, I don't know (I wouldn't think so), but we went up to the library nonetheless. I sat on a table with Jenny Tran, Oishi and Nancy, and we talked a lot about the formal and siblings and stuff like that, considering the work was relatively easy and completed quickly (it was that type of work where you just look through the textbook and write stuff down). Period 6 was English, wherein we looked at a poet called Keats, which you have probably at least heard of (he was the guy who wrote "Beauty is truth, truth beauty," which you really ought to have heard of.). I also found out that he wrote 'La Belle Dame Sans Merci,' which isn't French and I've always remembered from primary school for some reason. And when we got home, we watched the Melbourne Cup.

Dad had bought tickets for us all, as he does that. We all had $10 on different horses: Dad had 'Roman Emperor,' Mum had 'Newport,' EJ had 'Viewed' and I had 'Alcopop.' Before the race, though, we were looking at the horses, and I saw one called 'Shocking.' I thought that had a good name, so I went for that. And surprise, surprise, guess who won? 'Shocking.' That is the third time I've picked the Cup. Anyway. I then played some Battlefield Heroes, and ended up blogging for a while.

And that was my day. My posts have finally begun to get longer, which is good because I don't enjoy 500 word posts. Still, there's a major problem with lateness, and I'm trying to get out of it. Anyway. I'll try to get back up to date, but no promises on when.

Go 'Shocking,'
AB

No comments:

Post a Comment