Saturday, May 2, 2009

Saturday Sports

Because today was all about AFL. First my brother had his game, then we watched the Blues-Hawks game. I'll be talking a bit about both.

I got to Greenway around 9, bringing my iPod (speaking of music, the song stuck in my head today is 'Any Means Necessary' by HammerFall, which according to Victor is Power Metal and not rock. Still awesome though.) and stuff for my book: my pencil, rubber, and my exercise book (for want of a better word.) After mucking around on the new scoreboard (writing stuff like AB is nerdy. Because it's true and we all know it.), I decided that I'd had enough of flags, and the scoreboard was for me. Then, to top it off, I was called on to announce the scores (two games, one scoreboard, so I had to announce both to keep everyone on track) over the new PA system, of which the bell sounds exactly like the one used to page people in Hurlstone. Anyway. In my brother's game: the first quarter they lost 0.4, 4 to 1.1, 7, then in the second quarter they got to something like 4.9, 33 to 2.3, 15. The, in the third quarter they kicked almighty ass, getting to 12.12, 84 to 2.3, 15. Then the mercy rule was put into play, and the fourth quarter I spent sitting down and doing very little. Then, Dad and EJ stayed to watch the under 14s game, and Mum and I went home. Then I went on my laptop, until my Dad, EJ and I watched the Blues-Hawks game. The game was a thriller, and for us as Carlton supporters, a heartbreaker. I'll talk about the last 10 minutes.

It was 106-81, with Hawthorn in the lead by over 4 goals with 10 minutes left, and we seemed pretty much doomed. But 3 quick goals to Carlton, and we were 106-99, and in with a chance. A point and a rushed behind to Carlton, and we were 106-101, less than one straight kick behind, and 3 minutes left. After a lot of jostling on Carlton's 50, and Fevola marks it 20 metres out on 1 45 degree angle. A tricky shot, but not incredibly difficult. He goes in, and it looks like the game has been sealed. Or so we thought. On the screen, we could just see the small red ball bounce off the big white post. Crap. That's a point, and we were 4 points behind and the ball was in Hawthorn's possession. They sprinted the ball away, and the siren went. We lost. By four points. Four friggin' points. Luckily, as we didn't lose by much, our percentage didn't change that much, and assuming St Kilda beat the Bulldogs (as they should), we should only slip to fourth. But, I think we should look on the bright side (of life. *whistles*). We came a kick away from the reigning premiers, and with a touch more luck we could be 5-1 and easily coming third. We're playing Fremantle next game, and we should smash them. And after coming 10th last year, I think we're doing pretty well. Call me crazy, but I think that we will win a premiership in the next few years. And won't I love it if it happens.

Anyway. To comments now, 4 of them. It seems like AC has given up commenting. Ah well.
*Victor: Yes, you are awesome at imitating the voice actors. And no, abstract is not awesome. I sustain both of those. Can I have a seconder?
*Rosa: Without our 2 days of freedom starting Friday, I think, we would gradually go insane. Same with holidays. I don't know how the Americans go for so long, and then take 3 months holidays. I'd go crazy from the work, or failing that, the boredom on the holidays. I'd run out of things to do.
*Shafi: I had a hunch. Writing it down will not make more sense, and only for you; most other Hurlstonians know how to play. And come and play 13 with us; it's much better with 5 people.
*Ebony: You've made your point: I will comment from now on, if you want.

OK, I'll just sum up now. Tomorrow's Family Day, or something like that, so prepare for a long or short post, I'm not sure which.

Saturdays are freedom as well,
AB

2 comments:

  1. Always look on the bright side of death. *whistles*

    First?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, comment.
    Wait, do you even read it?

    And OH MY GOSH how long can one write about AFL for? I mean, it's not like it's even an INTERSTING sport! The most entertaining part was mucking around with the scoreboard. I skipped the entire paragraph about (ok, so I don't know exactly what it was about, but it came just after you said "I'll tlak about the last 10 minutes")
    And Friday's SUCK! As do weekends! If you want a break from school, it's called the AFTERNOON! That's all that's necessary!
    I don't care how long or short tomorrow's post is, as long as it doesn't mention AFL.
    Until then!

    ReplyDelete