Saturday, August 22, 2009

Finals Footy Begins

Well, I suppose in the actual AFL, finals hasn't arrived yet (we're about halfway through Round 21, I think). But of all the footy I'm involved in or really care about, the finals start now. Specifically, my brother's finals have begun, and well, let's see what happened, shall we?

I got up around 8, and it was rush-rush to get to EJ's ground. But in the short amount of time I was at home, I found my blue pencilcase, idling away in an unopened drawer. Don't know why I put it in there, but there it was. Problem solved! Anyway. Back to footy. EJ's team, having won every single game this year, was first (well, I sure hope so), and so they got the benefit of being at home. So when we got there, the carpark was packed. Well, a lot of our teams made the finals (about time), and we have one of the best grounds in the comp (no exaggeration here; it's true), so a heap of people came. I brought my New Scientist and 'The Count of Monte Cristo,' but I didn't get to read them that much in the beginning, as I was talking to Ngaire (pronounced Nie-ree), a friend of mine who used to play in my team, but now umpires, and who is notable for having the worst string of luck when it comes to injuries out of everybody I know. She couldn't umpire today, as she was on crutches after she tore a ligament, I think. So I talked to her for a while, and I then went around helping out with odd jobs, like moving goalposts and selling raffle tickets (doing much better than last Saturday). I then went to watch EJ's game.

It was against second on the ladder, Campbelltown-Wollondilly (I'll just call them Campbelltown; it's much easier), and my brother's team was ready. The game started off with a Campbelltown point, and the ball then started going the Tigers' way. However, both backlines were fierce, and balls touched on the line were not just commonplace; they were the norm. By the end of the first quarter, it was 2.5, 17 to 0.1, 1. (And this is, I think, the actual scores. But don't quote me.) I was doing the scoreboard, as they had official umpires doing the boundary. And nobody else was doing it. The second quarter was an intense one, but incredibly inaccurate, with 2 behinds to 4 kicked. Half time gave us 2.7, 19 to 0.5, 5, and it looked like both teams would have to work to win it. And the third quarter payed off, for both sides. More goals were kicked in this quarter than the first half of the game, and both sides nearly doubled their scores. The teams went into the last break with the Tigers at 4.11, 35 and Campbelltown at 1.6, 12. The last quarter was more intense than the last, with a mighty battle raging. But the Tigers prevailed, with the final score reading 6.12, 42 to 2.11, 23. EJ's team will make their Grand Final, while Campbelltown will play for their spot next week.

So after the game, I went to read my book and listen to my iPod, which I promptly did until about 4 in the afternoon. Then, after a quick detour to the shops, we went home, where we watched the Blues-Demons game from a tape. And Carlton kicked ass, winning by 57 points, and with Fevola getting 7 goals, practically assuring him the Coleman Medal. We also watched a slight amount of the Tigers-Hawks game, before I went into my room to play Battlefield Heroes and go on Skype with John. And that is what I did, for a few hours.

Comments await my replies no longer, with just the 1 today (what? I'm trying to get some variety here!):
*Ebony: It did indeed feel like the end of term; I loved it. And you did not kick my ass, it was a one point difference. 6/6 to 5/6 is not a slaughter, it is a close match.

And that was my day. My titling, I think, has improved with the realisation that it really doesn't matter that much. I will also catch up on this late post streak for my 200th post: won't do to do it late.

Expect AFL to be featured heavily in the upcoming weeks,
AB

No comments:

Post a Comment