Monday, August 17, 2009

A Surprisingly Marvelous Monday

Sure, it was a Monday. But, despite that obvious downside, it was a pretty good day. I'll get into how when I get to that part. Which is right after this sentence (also, titles. Annoying ones. Good ones elude me. ...You get the picture.).

Before school, I listened to the two new songs on my iPod, with one being 'Rasputin' by Boney M. and the other being 'Heal the World' by Michael Jackson. Two very different but still good songs. I also played 20 minutes of Battlefield Heroes, as I was bored. Well, why not? Period 1 was Geography, in which we did more work from the textbook. The work is even conceded by Johnson to be boring, and when the teacher says their own subject is boring, then you know it is. Next was Science. In that, we did work on speed and velocity, which is physics, yeah, but not the physics that I really enjoy. Astronomy, quantum physics, particle physics are just 3 awesome topics. But they won't teach us that in school, or at least not in Year 10. And for good reason, but still. Anyway. Recess was 13, but as there was an IPT exam, there weren't many people in our group there for it. Kevin and I also messed with Andy's mind by both of us pretending that we'd never played, 1984 style. It really trips people up, as they have no idea how to respond. It does get kind of boring, though.

Period 3 was Ag, and in that we did presentations. I was second or third, and it started off well after the first slide completely stuffed. The rest of it went through pretty smoothly, and I even got a few laughs. Not gigantic laughs, of course (it's potatoes), but still some. And towards the end of the class, Schippers said that my assignment was the best in the class so far. I felt pretty happy about that, as you'd expect, though I put it down to the 8 or so hours I spent on the presentation, as well as a few tricks that I've picked up messing around on Powerpoint. Period 4 was PE, with us getting an assignment not even an hour after I was done with the last one. Of course. I mean, it's not a really hard assignment. It's just keeping a scrapbook on road safety for a term or so, which means I'll have to keep a look out. In the actual period, we looked at advertising, and how it can be misleading. Example: 94% purer skin. Two things about that: how would you even calculate that; and more importantly, how do you purify skin? Skin is skin! Lunch was 13 with John and Eric, who'd come back from IPT, and Kevin and Andy, who never left.

Period 5 was Maths, in which we started a new topic on indices. Probably. We did work on it, regardless. Or, rather, some of us did the work. Mango was supposed to bring the textbook, but he didn't. So I spent some time looking at Year 11 work after Rawson showed us their textbook. And for the last 15 minutes or so, I looked at Pascal's triangle (Wikipedia shows us the way), and it has this property of the powers of 11. It's hard to fully explain. Anyway. I got bored, and showed that it worked in different bases (In base 9, the triangle shows the powers of 10. In base 2, it shows the powers of 3. It's always one base higher.). Just your standard A1 work. Period 6 was Drama, in which we went out to the farm to get the rest of the footage for our advertisement. I also got a new part: random politician who shoots Oscar then runs away. It makes much more sense in context. When the bell went, I went home (Captain Obvious to the rescue!), and went on my computer. Then, around 6:50, we left for hapkido.

Shay didn't come today, as she was snowed under by assignments. Like me last Wednesday. I got there early; to see Nick in an orange belt. Which means that there isn't many white belts left, although there are a few just starting (Shirisha being an example). The lesson itself was pretty good, although that was primarily because I got my 23rd signature: front roll. And it was the best front roll I have ever done. From a standing start, I went smoothly over, with my head not knocking against the ground, and getting up right away. I did it twice more (once on my right, which was OK but nothing to write home about), and I got it signed off. Which leaves one last signature to be gotten: back roll. Yeah. I'm sort of confident, but not fully. A bit more work, though, and I'll have it. I got home around 8:30, but I didn't get to blog completely. So here I am.

And that was my day. Sorry about the late post and everything, hapkido got in the way. Not that I'm complaining or anything, but I just get a bit annoyed when it happens. Although late posts really pale into comparison when it comes to hapkido. What I'm saying here, is that late posts may be frustrating, I wouldn't bloody quit hapkido just to get 800 words on my blog on time. Anyway. Tuesday's post will probably be shorter than this one, though mainly because this one is longer than I expected.

The week has started off well,
AB

1 comment:

  1. You didn't mention aything about how much you missed me.
    I am offended.
    First.

    ReplyDelete